Foresight Group (Foresight), a leading alternative asset manager, has been awarded ‘Venture Capital House of the Year’ at the Unquote British Private Equity Awards at a ceremony held at Lords Cricket Ground on 5th November.
After being accredited with the title of ‘2009 New Energy Investor’ earlier this year, and with the banking crisis, market conditions and recession contributing to a growing tax burden for private investors, Foresight Group is delighted to have won two awards in recognition of its specialism in environmental investing and good performance in challenging times.
David Hughes, Partner, who accepted the award on behalf of Foresight Group said:
“We are honoured to have won this award and are pleased that the judges have recognised Foresight’s good performance and increasing drive in a year that most will remember for one of the worst global recessions in history.
We continue to see strong deal flow and excellent investment opportunities, especially in the environmental infrastructure sector where the UK lags Europe badly in recycling. By financing companies’ growth in this sector – whether recycling plastics into building products or food grade materials, recycling waste food into fertiliser or converting biomass into energy – Foresight is helping the UK to meet its legal obligations and protecting the environment by diverting waste away from landfill while at the same time making good returns for Foresight’s investors, because “where there’s muck, there’s brass!”
Foresight’s Team expanded significantly during the year and now comprises fifteen people focused on specialist areas including biomass, recycling, waste to energy, solar and alternative energy with a team of five investment managers focused on the generalist space.
Investments made by Foresight during 2009 include:
• @Futsal, a facilities management company that operates sports arenas for Futsal, a form of small sided football.
• 2K Manufacturing, a specialist manufacturer of an innovative board made from recycled waste plastics.
• Diagnos, a company which develops and sells sophisticated automotive diagnostic software and hardware that enables independent mechanics, dealerships and garages to service and repair vehicles.
• ICA, a leading document management solutions provider servicing SMEs in the South East of England.
• Vertal, a food waste recycling company, specialising in the construction and operation of advanced in-vessel accelerated composting plants, which convert food waste into a nutrient rich fertiliser product that can replace petrochemical fertilisers currently used by farmers.
• Crumb Rubber, a company which processes used truck and car tyres into fine rubber powders.